When Comments Come Before The Blog Post

So I used a cool new tool called Twickie that I discovered via Scobleizer. The below conversation (i.e., comment/tweet thread) came before this post and before another post which is coming shortly. Not sure if this will turn into a trend (by me or other bloggers), but it’s an interesting concept. Are we going to see comments before blog posts more often? (FYI- read comments below from bottom to top.)

frivmo: @bobcaswell Unsure. Trying to find the right balance myself. Just tweaked my FriendFeed feeds, and the feeds Facebook posts as notes, etc.

about an hour ago

bobcaswell: @frivmo I’m doing some online social spring cleaning this weekend. Segmenting info would be nice even if less of a priority for me. Ideas?

about an hour ago

frivmo: @bobcaswell I agree with that, too. But I’m looking for ways to integrate without losing the ability to segment info.

about an hour ago

bobcaswell: @frivmo Don’t have time anymore to say things 4x via blogging/friendfeed/twitter/facebook. Love tools that help me integrate.

about an hour ago

frivmo: @bobcaswell I’m more interested in the conversations happening btw people I follow than my family & close friends, frankly. More substance.

about 2 hours ago

frivmo: @bobcaswell That would work for me, but I’ve found Twitter much more convenient to use and update – and I get more value out of it.

about 2 hours ago

bobcaswell: @frivmo I do it the other way around. Anything I say on Facebook is generally on Twitter but not necessarily vice versa.

about 2 hours ago
  • Logan Beaux

Haha. Yeah, I think this is totally going to keep showing up. Blogs are now partly like the newsweekly to social media's daily newspaper. It's where you have a chance to think more deeply and consolidate the back-and-forths into a coherent whole.

• Yeah, it's also getting to the point where blogs almost feel old school. But wow, if that's the case, that was fast! And I wonder what comes after Twitter in the next five years?

• Bob,

I think you've hit something here. Soon after I started using Twitter a couple years ago, I found that the short discussions I'd have on Twitter would make their way to a full blog post – once or twice, as in this one, using the text of the Tweets to make up the post, but frequently as a springboard to a more fully fleshed out argument. One great benefit to this method is that the Twitter conversation helps you to figure out what will resonate with people before devoting an entire afternoon to writing up something great that no one will ever read. And it gives you just enough healthy contradictory evidence to make your own post that much stronger.

FWIW, related to our conversation below, I started using the Selective Twitter Updates app to send specific Tweets to my Facebook status update by appending a hash tag to the end. It's a nice little way to keep the automation, but maintain a bit of segmentation and control over the broadcast.

• Interesting… Where do I get a copy of that app and what platform(s) (phone/Win/Mac) is it written for?

• Sorry I wasn't more specific. The Selective Twitter Updates is actually a Facebook app. Basically, if you add #fb to the end of a Tweet, it changes your FB status, otherwise, it's just Twitter as usual.

• Nice! Just set myself up with selective twitter. At first, I turned on Facebook Twitter updates, but I like the idea of controlling it more so I don't confuse FB with retweets, etc.

• What the? Just noticed Disqus comments now have Twitter integrated?! Cool, tweeting from a comment on my blog.